Wednesday, March 18, 2009

We are the ones

We are the ones who try with our hearts
To forget what we want, to ignore who we are
To be us is sin, and we hide our desires
To voice them is only a demand for ridicule

We hide in our corners and behind our façades
We try to be strong and hold up our smiles
But to be us is sin, and we hide our desires
For exposing our needs is a sure road to hurt

Why can’t I want children? A husband? A home?
Is wrong to want love? To not be alone?
But to say so makes giggles and laughs dance around
Every man in the room is rolling around
Sides grabbed in amusement
Mockery saturates each word.

Why can’t I want family? To be saved with adoration?
But I’m scorned by my peers and my society

Don’t want
Don’t be
Don’t feel
Don’t say

But stop
Obey
And listen to me

When do I reach the Promised Land
Where judgments aren’t made?
Where we’re seen for who we are
Where we’re seen for what we are
Where we’re seen for what we want
Where we’re seen for who we need
Where we’re seen for what we love
Where we’re known for who we worship?

But to be us is sin, and we hide our desires
To be us is a burden we carry.

No comments:

Post a Comment